Monday, November 29, 2010


Student accommodation is available, for example, through VVO and SOA (Finland's Student Housing Ltd.).

In Finland HOAS (The Foundation for Student Housing in the Helsinki Region) in Helsinki region handles accommodation for both Finnish and international students studying in the Helsinki region.

Applications can be sent directly to VVO (, SOA (, HOAS ( and other student accommodation foundations. Accommodation system varies in different polytechnics/UAS. Some have student campuses and accommodation, while others encourage the students to apply for accommodation from the study town and city. See more detailed information on each polytechnics'/UAS' website.

Student accommodation in Finland is of high standard. The apartments and rooms are in very good condition, including central heating, a refrigerator, cooking and washing facilities, and internet access. Both furnished and unfurnished rooms are available. The prices vary depending on the location and the size of the room or apartment. Rents in Helsinki area are the most expensive (rooms 200-300 euros, a one-bedroom apartment 400-600 euros), whereas in Central and Northern Finland the prices are lower (in Oulu, rooms 150-200 euros, a one bed-room apartment 300-350 euros).

For students at the Karelia area; students planning on a degree studies at Saimaa University of Applied Sciences or Lappeenranta University of Technology will be better to contact LOAS; this firm handles accommodation for all students but you need to inform them earlier because accommodation can be scares at the beginning of academic year.

Getting an accommodation is a very important part of studying abroad and studying in Finland; you will be living in one of the very cold regions of the world and trust me you cannot handle living without a well furnished apartment in any part of Finland.

It is best to contact your admission office in the varies university you plan to study or better contact the firm in charge of accommodation at the city you plan to study and if you find some difficulties contact any housing agent and ask about accommodation at your destination city.